16.1 The Nature of Light
1. List a few examples of objects we see because of the
light they give off directly.
2. List a few examples of things we see by the light they reflect.
3. We have said that light travels in straight lines. Describe an experiment to demonstrate that.
16.2 The Speed of Light
4. Describe how you could measure the speed of sound in
a manner similar to Galileo's attempt to measure the speed of
5. Explain how the size of radius of Earth's orbit would effect Roemer's calculations of the speed of light based upon the eclipse of Jupiter's moons?
6. What is meant by the law of reflection?
7. Is the law of reflection valid for something like the white paper this question is printed on?
8. What is meant by refraction?
9. How is light bent as it goes from air into glass?
10. If light goes from water into glass, will it be bent toward or away from the normal?
16.5 Total Internal Reflection
11. If light goes from glass into air, will it be bent
toward or away from the normal?
12. If light goes from glass into water, will it be bent toward or away from the normal?
13. What is meant by the critical angle?
14. What happens to light that strikes a glass to air interface with an angle of incidence greater than the critical angle?
15. What happens to light that strikes a glass to air interface with an angle of incidence less than the critical angle?
16. Why can light be polarized while sound can not be polarized?
17. Explain why ordinary light is unpolarized.
18. How can Polaroid sunglasses reduce the "glare" of reflected light?