Children's Choice Award
School Library Media Association
Incredible Shrinking Kid
The shortest kid in second grade,
James Moody, also known as Stink, learns about the shortest
president of the United States, James Madison, when they celebrate
Presidents' day at school
Author: Megan McDonald
Peter H. Reynolds
- Questions: Can you shrink? Who is your favorite President?
- Language arts: Brainstorm times when it would be an advantage to be
- Writing: Keep a diary or journal like Stink.
- Math: Measure height of class members Graph results. Convert to
inches, centimeters, feet, yards, etc.
- Science: Study all the factors that contribute to height, i.e.
nutrition, heredity, rest, exercise. Research newts and other
- Social Studies: Find other interesting facts about presidents.
- Drama: Make a play for President's Day.
- Cooking/Food: Study or snack on healthy foods to promote growth.
- Art: Draw comics of other presidents after research.
- Music: Play Hail to the Chief.
- Movement: Do stretching exercises.
- Other Stink books by Megan
- Judy Moody books by Megan MacDonald
- Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by
- Cork and Fuzz: Short and Tall by
- Shrinking Mouse by Pat Hutchins
Salt in his shoes by Roslyn
- Hewitt Anderson's Great Big Life by
2009 Nominee Resources