Stover-Ebinger Herbarium (EIU)
The Stover-Ebinger Herbarium at Eastern Illinois University, given the abbreviation "EIU" in Index Herbariorum , ed. 8, holds approximately 73,000 specimens. It contains a thorough representation of the flora of the midwestern United States. Most of its holdings are specimens collected in Illinois, with a good representation from throughout the state. The earliest collections were made by E.N. Transeau, during his brief tenure at Eastern, from 1903 to 1908.
The collection is used by faculty and students at the university, for research and in classes. Students and faculty conducting ecological studies and floristic inventories use herbarium specimens to help identify unknown plant specimens collected in the field. Students in the Plant Taxonomy, Dendrology, and the Local Flora class also use the collection to learn species and to facilitate identification of specimens. In the Wetland Plants, General Botany, Ethnobotany, and Plant Morphology classes, herbarium specimens are used in the classroom and laboratory to allow morphological comparison of plant taxa.
The herbarium was started in 1899. Originally named the Stover Herbarium for Dr. Ernest L. Stover, professor of botany from 1923-1960, the Botany Dept. faculty voted in 1995 to "expand" the name to honor John E. Ebinger on the occasion of his retirement. Dr. Ebinger collected about half the specimens in the collection and served as curator from 1963-1995.
The herbarium is located in room 3043 of the Life Science Building. The gymnosperms, charophytes, and ferns and fern allies, as well as a teaching collection for the courses listed above, are located in Room 3011. For information about vascular plants and bryophytes, contact Dr. Gordon C. Tucker (email@example.com); for fungi and lichens, contact Dr. Andrew S. Methven (firstname.lastname@example.org).